Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Salem Ridge Press Review

HSCrew468x60Animated
Today is my birthday and I don’t think I could be more pleased to introduce you to
Salem Ridge Press
A re-printer of many fine old books, mainly selections from the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. This company is one of my favorites to buy living books from. We use Charlotte Mason methods here at Miskatonic Prep and they always have the perfect books for our needs.
Salem Ridge Press was founded by homeschool graduate, Daniel Mills. He has founded this company on the principle outlined in Philippians 4:8, what we read matters and what we put into our minds forms our character and ideals. Though not all selections are specifically Christian all have strong moral values and encourage positive character development.
outofthemouthoflions
I received 3 books, 1 soft cover and 2 eBooks, to review. Most books are available in either soft cover or hardbound editions. I was thrilled to be able to physically handle Out of the Mouth of Lions by Emma Leslie. The cover was wholesome and not too thin like some paper backs I own. I especially liked the little extras found in the illustrations and definitions at the bottom of each page introducing ne words to the readers.The copy itself was in pristine condition and in a very pleasing easy to read font.  It is a wonderful story of perseverance through adversity, persecution, and trial. A great example of the long-suffering character we should achieve.

That said, I felt this book may have some traumatic scenes in it for my younger children since it is placed during the Roman times and throwing Christians to the lions was seen as sport. I need not have worried. The editing done by Daniel and his family is seamless and blends well.
Untitled-4 themartyrsvictory







I also received Yussuf the Guide by George Manville Fenn and The Martyr’s Victory also by Emma Leslie as e-books. I loved both of these and my only wish was that I had gotten them in physical form also. The eBooks are great and very beneficial, I can load them on my e-reader or read them from my laptop. I do prefer to read aloud from a honest to goodness paper page though. I am glad both formats are available for purchase.
The books I reviewed are in particular an interest of mine, historical fiction. However, there are other categories available to choose from including Adventure, Allegory, and Younger Readers. There is something for everyone.
Also available at BarnesandNoble.com, Amazon.com, and as eBooks through TOS Magazine’s Old Schoolhouse Store.
Prices vary with book size and cover selection. Please join us at the TOS Crew Blog for more reviews.
Mandy
Disclosure: I am a reviewer for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine’s Homeschool Crew. I have received the above books free in return for my honest opinion on the service provided by Salem Ridge Press. No other compensation was given.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...