I had a wonderful opportunity to try teaching my children Greek. I would never have normally thought to teach my children Koine Greek, common Greek spoken during NT times. However by using this curriculum it was not as difficult as I thought it would be.
I received Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek! level 3 from Greek N Stuff. I have to tell you not starting with level 1 was no biggie. I admit I felt a bit disadvantaged not having any previous knowledge. After looking over the materials I was immediately put at ease.
Beginning with pre-school age children in level 1 the studies are inductive until the 4th level at that point they begin using deductive lessons and introduce the grammar and paradigms.
The necessary components include a Work Text, Answer Key, and pronunciation cd, although there are many other aids available. The Work Text is divided into 36 weekly lessons of 170 daily assignments. The Full Answer Key is a complete replica of the Work Text with answers filled in. The Key includes a schedule of lessons with quick tips to aid in teaching.
Beginning with a review of the Greek alphabet the Work Text is very gentle and easy to jump in at any age. My kids made up flashcards, flashcards are provided in the appendix, and learned the alphabet rather quickly. The cd helped with pronunciation tremendously and the ability to implement this with such short lessons was great.
I loved that since Greek uses a different alphabet, with unfamiliar symbols, Hey Andrew! uses the method of copy work to reinforce the formation of the written letters. Each assignment page has a place to check off flashcard practice. Optional quizzes, mid term and final exams are scheduled also.
Using a biblical approach to the vocabulary Hey Andrew! enables your children to begin reading the bible in Greek from day one. It is recommended they begin using an interlinear Greek Bible right away. I never thought about my family being able to read the original text of the Bible before. As we learn more about God’s will in our life it seems obvious that we should be able to read the words he intended for us to hear in the original language they were written in.
- Greek Level Three Student Workbook $21.95
- Greek Level Three "Full Text" Answer Key $21.95
- Pronunciation CD for Greek Levels Three and Four $10.00
- Greek Level Three "Answers Only" Answer Key $4.00
- Greek Level Three Quizzes/Exams $5.50
- Greek Level Three "Flashcards on a Ring" $8.00
- Pronunciation Cassette Tape for Greek Levels Three and Four $8.00
- Greek Level Three "Short" Set $39.45(Includes: Student workbook, "Answers Only" answer key, Quizzes/Exams, Flashcards on a Ring)
- Greek Level Three "Full" Set $57.40(Includes: Student workbook, "Full Text" answer key, Quizzes/Exams, Flashcards on a Ring)
- Bible Copybook - The Gospel of John $25.95
- Sheet Music for The Greek Alphabet Song $2.95
- Set of five (5) Koiné Greek Alphabet Bookmarks $6.00
Disclaimer: I was provided free of charge a copy of the basic materials in exchange for my honest opinion. No other compensation was received.